Green Lane Mosque, Birmingham

Green Lane Mosque is a relatively large community mosque, in the Sunni tradition, located in the Small Heath area of eastern Birmingham. 

Green Lane was established in the 1970s making it one of the city’s older Islamic institutions. Today the mosque is located in a former municipal swimming baths and offices. The building was designed by Martin & Chamberlain, designed many of Birmingham’s distinctive red brick, vaguely byzantine, municipal buildings from this time. It was built between 1893 and 1902.

Whilst the building’s exterior clearly displays its origins in late Victorian local government inside the mosque’s community have transformed it into a centre of Islamic scholarship and worship. In addition to the worship hall and library Green lane is home to a masjid, a centre for Islamic teaching and religious instruction.


Worship and Reflection at Green Lane Mosque